[WSIS CS-Plenary] FYI: Microsoft partenaire du COSMSI

mclauglm at po.muohio.edu mclauglm at po.muohio.edu
Mon Aug 8 17:52:01 BST 2005

Robert, Francis, and all:

It's interesting that nearly all of the
"partners"/sponsors are also partners in the
"Connect the World" initiative announced by
Utsumi in June 2005 (see below and
http://www.itu.int/newsroom/press_releases/2005/07.html).
The one exception seems to be ZTE, which does not
appear to be in the "Connect the World" loop. But
then, just speculating, ZTE might have cut a deal
to partner with Huawei as a way of going up
against Cisco Systems, their more powerful
competitor in the Global South. And, notably,
Cisco is not a part of the "Connect the World"
partnerships, which is comprised of several of
its competitors. Another possibility: Cisco
Systems may not want to be so prominent at the
Tunis summit because the corporation has been
receiving a great deal of criticism recently
about its selling surveillance equipment that
aids the Chinese government in censorship and
identification of dissidents (i.e., human rights
violations). Why exacerbate criticism by having
one's corporate name/logo all over the place at
the WSIS in Tunis?

In any event, I wouldn't be surprised if there is
a press conference held in Tunis in November
during which it is announced that Tunisia has
joined Senegal, Egypt, France, etc. as a new
government partner in the "Connect the World"
partnership. One thing that surely must be clear
by now is that partnering with the UN has its
sponsorship privileges.

Best,

Lisa

ITU Launches New Development Initiative to Bridge the Digital Divide
Partnership will be the key to connecting communities

Geneva, 16 June 2005 - The International
Telecommunication Union today launched a major
new development drive designed to bring access to
information and communication technologies (ICTs)
to the estimated one billion people worldwide for
whom making a simple telephone call remains out
of reach.

Called Connect the World, the initiative is a
global multi-stakeholder effort established
within the context of the World Summit on the
Information Society (WSIS) to encourage new
projects and partnerships to bridge the digital
divide. By showcasing development efforts now
underway and by identifying areas where needs are
the most pressing, Connect the World will create
a critical mass that will generate the momentum
needed to connect all communities by 2015. At
present, ITU estimates that around 800'000
villages - or 30% of all villages worldwide - are
still without any kind of connection.

Connect the World places strong emphasis on the
importance of partnerships between the public and
private sectors, UN agencies and civil society.
It has 22 founding partners, including leading
corporate players such as Alcatel, Huawei, Intel,
Microsoft, KDDI, Telefónica, Infosys and
WorldSpace, whose CEOs have all embraced the
goals of the initiative.

Partners also include governments and government
agencies including Egypt, France, Senegal and the
Korea Agency for Digital Opportunity and
Promotion (KADO), regional and international
organizations including UNESCO, the Universal
Postal Union (UPU), the European Commission, the
International Telecommunication Satellite
Organization, RASCOM and the United Nations Fund
for International Partnerships (UNFIP), as well
as a range of organizations from civil society
including Télécoms Sans Frontières, the
M S Swaminathan Research Foundation and Child
Helpline International.

The initiative comprises three key Building
Blocks - Enabling Environment, Infrastructure &
Readiness, and Applications & Services - which
together constitute the primary areas that need
to be addressed when developing concrete measures
to accelerate ICT development. All Connect the
World founding partners have current development
projects in one or more of these areas. They will
be encouraged to develop new partnerships and
initiatives, while additional partners will be
actively sought in areas not adequately covered
to ensure underserved communities get what they
need where it's needed most.

Speaking at a press conference to launch the
initiative at UN headquarters in Geneva, ITU
Secretary-General Mr Yoshio Utsumi spoke of the
urgent need to connect those still deprived of
ready access to ICTs.

"It is time to stop regarding access to ICTs as a
privilege available to the rich few within a
country, and the rich few countries in the
world," said Utsumi. "ICTs now underpin just
about every aspect of modern life. They are basic
infrastructure, as necessary to economic and
social development as postal services, banks,
medical centres and schools."

At present, the 942 million people living in the
world's developed economies enjoy five times
better access to fixed and mobile phone services,
nine times better access to Internet services,
and own 13 times more PCs than the 85% of the
world's population living in low and lower-middle
income countries. But while figures do show a
clear improvement over the last ten years in
bridging the gap between information "haves" and
"have-nots", they nonetheless fail to paint a
true picture for many rural dwellers, whose
communities are still often unserved by any form
of ICT.

"It is not ICTs that will solve the problem of
the digital divide, it is people and especially
people working in partnership. So while Connect
the World is about harnessing the power of ICTs,
it's also about harnessing the power of people
working together to connect the unconnected,"
said ITU's Utsumi.

By providing an international platform to
showcase the many innovative and successful
development initiatives already underway, ITU
hopes Connect the World will spur organizations
at every level to get actively involved in
development. "Every Connect the World partner is
currently working to make a real difference. I
applaud their efforts, and hope the projects they
are showcasing within this initiative will serve
to stimulate new partnerships and inspire others
to join us and to launch their own development
activities," said Utsumi.

For more information on the Connect the World
initiative, including the Connect the World
Factsheet, full details of Connect the World
partner projects, and a selection of photos of
projects and leaders of participating
organizations, click here.