[WSIS CS-Plenary] Bush admin. objects to .xxx domains

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Tue Aug 16 17:24:39 BST 2005

>>> rguerra at lists.privaterra.org 08/16/05 12:09 PM >>>
>no big surprise.
>
>will be interesting to see what other countries might start demanding

>the same thing - both at ICANN, and the upcoming WSIS precom.

It is a very big surprise. And it is not just an "objection" to .xxx,
it is an attempt to reverse the decision.

As I have noted in another message to another list, the US Commerce
department has finally chosen to use its unilateral power over the DNS
root in this case. The move was dictated by US domestic political
constituencies, specifically the Family Research Council, a religious
Right group in the US. The change was made when a new Deputy Commerce
Dept Secty was appointed in July with strong ties to the religious
Right. The religious Right can now be said to be in control of the DNS
root.

We should not stand by and let this happen. Are you willing to join CS
efforts to prepare a statement opposing this?