[WSIS CS-Plenary] Bush admin. objects to .xxx domains

Robert Guerra rguerra at lists.privaterra.org
Tue Aug 16 17:50:41 BST 2005

On 16-Aug-05, at 12:24 PM, Milton Mueller wrote:

> It is a very big surprise. And it is not just an "objection" to .xxx,
> it is an attempt to reverse the decision.

That conservative groups would react to the creation of the ex-ex-ex
domain, is well, no big surprise. In fact, quite expected by many -
especially those in the wsis gender caucus (so i'm told).

conservative religious groups might not have an idea about ICANN ,
but they know where their allies are - and are lobbying them. No
surprise.

> The move was dictated by US domestic political
> constituencies, specifically the Family Research Council, a religious
> Right group in the US. The change was made when a new Deputy Commerce
> Dept Secty was appointed in July with strong ties to the religious
> Right. The religious Right can now be said to be in control of the DNS
> root.

For many, the religious right is also seen to control the entire US
government. That's far more worrisome....

> We should not stand by and let this happen. Are you willing to join CS
> efforts to prepare a statement opposing this?

had it been possible for non-us citizens to vote in the last
elections, you can be sure the Bush administration would not be in
power. They are, and we have to accept that.

You as a US citizen, can complain to your congress person (senator
Clinton, if i'm not mistaken) and see if you can get her to care
about the issue.

 From a WSIS perspective, well yes - we need to monitor this, and
have CS strategically intervene at multiple levels to make sure that
the voices of not only the US, but also the Vatican, the arab
states,etc  don't try to seize this opportunity to increase their
influence and power in internet governance.

In summary, I see the involvement of religious & family groups in IG
a very worrisome development. As i said earlier, it  will be
interesting to see how this plays out at the upcoming WSIS prepcom in
sept.