[WSIS CS-Plenary] Bush admin. objects to .xxx domains

mclauglm at po.muohio.edu mclauglm at po.muohio.edu
Tue Aug 16 23:59:42 BST 2005

I tend to support Milton's position on this, although I don't know
enough about Robert's position to characterize him as equivocating or
misunderstanding anything.

I have to admit that I'm writing this message after having just
listened to one of my favorite David Bowie tunes: "I'm Afraid of
Americans." If you agree that music is an important source for
political messages, the following lyrics may be pertinent:

"I'm afraid of americans
I'm afraid of the world
I'm afraid I can't help it..."

[then, tongue in cheek, although it points to a right wing
fundamentalist ideology)

"God is an american
I'm afraid of americans
I'm afraid of the world
I'm afraid I can't help it."

As an American, I'm afraid of Americans too--at least the ones who
are dominating this country and are in the administration at the
moment: the Religious Right. We should all be very afraid, and I'm
convinced that we have come to a point where only pressure from
outside the US or transnational groups is going to make a difference
in respect to the Bush administration's hubris. This whole issue of
.xxx domains is thoroughly hypocritical, but the US Religious Right
has never let information get in the way of their doctrinaire
positions. Clearly, they fail to understand that .xxx *may* offer a
way to "partition" at least a certain amount of "acceptable
pornography." The Right Wing position is that the .xxx domain is
going to create pornography, which is ridiculous, because, as Milton
points out, it's already on the web. I don't know enough about the
DNS to help out in drafting a letter, but if Milton and others, who
know far more than I do about this, draft a letter for Civil Society,
I will be happy to sign on behalf of my organization.

Best,

Lisa

--
Lisa McLaughlin, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Mass Communication & Women's Studies

Mass Communication
Williams Hall
Miami University-Ohio
Oxford, OH 45056