[WSIS CS-Plenary] Bush admin. objects to .xxx domains

Parminder Parminder at ITforChange.net
Wed Aug 17 04:31:00 BST 2005

Hi Dr Milton,

I want a clarification, and hope you can provide it. I agree with you that
this present development is going to have great significance.

However, I am not sure how this issue stands at present. Has US only used
its presence in GAC to voice opposition to the .xxx domain, (with all the
strength that a 'US concern' carries vis a vis other countries' concerns)

>>> Only then do you get a letter from GAC, only then is
it put on the front page of ICANN, only then does the Chief Executive of
ICANN, who voted for the delegation originally, change his position>>>

or is it as you mention in an earlier email that

>> US Commerce department has finally chosen to use its unilateral power
over the DNS root in this case >>>.

If latter is the case, how exactly did US commerce dept exercise its power.
Or is it the fact that since US sits over the DNS control its stated
objection is itself to be construed as a (threat to) exercise of DNS
control.

Above clarification is important to understand how IG actually gets
operationalised in the present US controlled regime.

Thanks, and regards

Parminder
Parminder Jeet Singh
IT for Change