[WSIS CS-Plenary] drastic changes to the proposed WSIS implementation mechanisms in the new text

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 20:51:20 BST 2005

Dear Parminder,
 Thanks for raising this issue. I also noticed the evolution reading the new
text and was surprised by the toning down of the proposition. I suppose it
reflects the lack of general understanding among governments on how
ambitious the follow-up / implementation mechanism is going to be. - if any.
In any case, it clearly does not come from the various inputs given by
various actors during open consultations, most of whom, as you mention, did
support s detailed mechanism based on multi-stakeholder groups.
 Another element might be the desire of the PrepCom President to lower the
stakes on the implementation issue, given the expected difficulties on the
Internet Governance part, in order to reduce the risk of deadlock at
PrepCom3.
 Informal discussions on Sept 6 will probably give some light on that, but
we seem to be headed towards a very low-key document for Tunis and probably
a strange discussion during PrepCom3.
 In any case, it is worth discussing before PrepCom3.
 Best
 Bertrand