[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re the General Assembly Resolution

richard jordan richardjordan at lycos.com
Sun Aug 28 22:03:39 BST 2005

Just a brief reflection on Robert Guerra's observation concerning A/57/270b -- there also is A/59/224 of 9 August 2004 on the same topic.

My thoughts are the following: also look at the Draft Outcome Document for the High-level Plenary Meeting of the GA -- there is the section on Science and Technology for Development (pp.13-14) and the paragraphs 150-151.

My feeling is that most likely, in any type of re-vamped working methods of ECOSOC (through the coordination segment) or the Second Committee of the UN, we will find ICT being incorporated -- of course not as much as may be desired, but a foot in the door.

I think that since there is such little knowledge about ICT at UN Headquarters, and that is where the General Assembly sits, don't forget, that unless there is some real coordination among NGOs at ECOSOC functional commission meetings, and within the regional commissions, delegations will by and large remain silent.

An elaborate plan for implementation? Even a simple one? Hmmmmmm. I wonder.

And if the Draft Outcome Document really is not dealt with at all in September, then civil society might do well to consider some type of implementation plan.

I may return to this subject later.

Richard Jordan