[WSIS CS-Plenary] drastic changes to the proposed WSIS implementation mechanisms in the new text

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 17:31:57 BST 2005

Dear Francis, dear all,
 If I remember well, the reference to UNGA resolution 57/270B was also
specifically and repetitively made by the US delegation as a way to prevent
the establishment of any new implementation mechanism.
 On a statement related to the importance of the changes, time is very short
indeed but the real moment to speak out is September 6, during the open
meeting of the Friends of the Chair. Preparing a statement for that date
would probably be better than rushing to meet the deadline of August 31st.
Who will be there on September 6th ? (I will attend).
 Note : I have opened a page on wsis-online for this event. (go to :
http://www.wsis-online.net/smsi/classes/won/events/won-events-507606/event-view?)
Those who plan to attend can (if they are registered on wsis-online of
course ..) click on the "I will attend" button on the right hand side of the
page and the list of participants on the page will automatically update.
This will avoid the endless ping-pong we have on the list every time we try
to know who will attend a particular meeting).
 On substance, Parminder's points are, in my view, a very good starting
point upon which to build. The main element is that the new proposal
basically places the implementation primarily in the hands of governments
and that the participation of other actors is not as central as it was
before, especially at the international level.
 Some elements of the new proposal could be considered positive,
particularly the fact that international organizations now are asked to
facilitate multi-stakeholder efforts and that there is a request for
governments to set up at the national level implementation frameworks with
the participation of all stakeholders. But the whole thing has lost all
teeth (governments are only "encoouraged" to establish such frameworks and
international organizations "could" facilitate multistakeholder efforts). If
CS could obtain a strenghtening of the formulation, such as : IGOs "should"
facilitate and governments "should" establish national implementation
frameworks, this could become a very strong basis for moving further after
Tunis.
 But in general terms, the toning down of the whole document, in
contradiction with the explicit demands of many actors, and with no
particular consultation with the most progressive of them, is clearly a
setback.
 One key point should be in September to maintain the pressure to guarantee
more interaction on the design of the implementation mechanisms, and the
guarantee that the discussions on that matter in PrepCom3 will be fully
open.
 Best
 Bertrand