[WSIS CS-Plenary] Drastic changes to the proposed WSIS implementation mechanisms in the new text

John Mathiason jrmathia at maxwell.syr.edu
Tue Aug 30 20:36:02 BST 2005

Jean-Louis,

All of the Specialized Agencies of the United Nations (including ITU)
report to ECOSOC.  This is part of the relationship agreement into
which they entered when the United Nations was founded.  Now that the
WSIS has been given status as a UN conference, it also reports to the
General Assembly.  Whether or not ECOSOC does anything with the
reports, of course, is up to ECOSOC, but the General Assembly will be
expected to act on whatever is adopted by WSIS.

Regards,

John

John R. Mathiason
Adjunct Professor of International Relations
Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs
Syracuse University