[WSIS CS-Plenary] Condi letter

Wolfgang Kleinwächter wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Wed Dec 7 16:53:17 GMT 2005

One reason, why the Secretary of State on behalf of the USG became active is certainly the strong statement by Senator Coleman with regard to the EU proposal. USG needs the approval by the US Congress when it wants to go ahead with ICANN, termination of the MoU etc. It must demonstrate Congress that they fight for US interests and do not plan "to give away"  US property or interests. So the letter is also part of US domestic policy. BTW, Coleman announced that he will call for Senate hearings on the issue. This has disappeared again from his agenda after Tunis or will there be something soon?

wolfgang