[WSIS CS-Plenary] WSIS 3, why not ?

Rik Panganiban rikp at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 7 18:48:45 GMT 2005

Marouen,

I know you are just starting to miss us, which is very sweet. :-)

Seriously, what I would like to see is an annual or biennual gathering of ICT for Development , ICT for Peace, ICT for Democracy, ICT for Human Rights groups from around the world.  The private sector gets their various trade shows to show off their new gadgets.  Where do we get to show off our new technologies for a more peaceful, just world?  Perhaps major actors like the Swiss, APC, MIT Media Lab and Global Knowledge Partnerships could get together on this.

Perhaps this ICT for D/P/HR already exists somewhere already and we can just plan on meeting there.

Another possibility is to integrate our efforts with existing annual gatherings of global civil society, i.e. the World Social Forum, the UN NGO DPI conference, the Forum Internationale de Montreal, etc.  There are already efforts to integrate ICT activism into the World Social Forum, but this is just starting.

The modalities for participation in the IG Forum and the CSTD have not been formalized yet, but we can imagine that at least some of our groups will continue to meet via those venues.

There are many possibilities for us to argue, fight and complain about each other happening all year round.  It's just a matter of choosing.  But there will be no WSIS 3 in 2010, that's for sure.

Rik Panganiban