[WSIS CS-Plenary] holiday amusement

William Drake wdrake at ictsd.ch
Thu Dec 8 15:25:20 GMT 2005

Hi Lisa,

Yes it's common, but objectionable.  As your Dubya example suggests, using
nick-names for horrid public officials sort of humanizes and softens them,
as if they were our neighbors, just regular folks.  And sometimes it gets
taken further out into the realm of the surreal;  remember when the media
was variously referring to Rumsfeld as a 'stud' and 'babe magnet?'  Right,
and Stalin was sweet 'Uncle Joe'...

Cheers,

Bill