[WSIS CS-Plenary] Merry Xmas brought to you by the NSA

Ralf Bendrath bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Dec 27 18:18:21 GMT 2005

Jean-Louis FULLSACK wrote:
> Dear Ralf and all

> The report to the EP wasn't from Duncan Campbell (he is a journalist
> and never wasn't a MEP)
There were two reports. One was done for the Scientific and Techn ology
Options Assessment (STOA) office of the EP. This one was done by Duncan
Campbell (not the journalist, there are two of them). This in turn sparked
the EP discussions and lead to the other report from MEP Gerhard Schmid.

> I'm sorry, Ralf : even if some special CS working groups at some extent
> dealt with "security" and "privacy", the outcomes of these meetings
> never mentioned ECHELON
Right. As I said, we assumed an ECHELON lobbying effort in the WSIS
process would go nowhere.

> That's why I propose this to change in the coming WSIS follow-up
> process, as I mentioned it in my earlier mail.
We will try to get privacy and surveillance aspects squarely onto the
radar screen of the new Internet Governance Forum. Any help is appreciated!

Ralf