[WSIS CS-Plenary] Merry Xmas brought to you by the NSA

Jean-Louis FULLSACK jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr
Tue Dec 27 17:56:29 GMT 2005

Dear Ralf and all
Just some comments on your e-mail;
The report to the EP wasn't from Duncan Campbell (he is a journalist and never wasn't a MEP) but -as I mentioned in my earlier mail- from Gerhard Schmid. It's title is "Report on the existence of a global interception system of private and economic communications (ECHELON interception system)", drafted by the "Temporary committee on the interception system ECHELON" and published on July 11, 2001. Unfortunately this report failed to create an enquiry committee, instead setting up an "ad hoc committee" with much less power and efficiency (its outcome was the 12 June 2002 Directive on communication protection). I'd particularly draw your attention to Part 2 of this Report which contains the opinion/recommendation of members of minority groups, the list of experts auditioned by the Committee, an exhaustive list of source documents as well as different appendixes on legal and jurisdictional aspects of communication interception in Europe and in the world.
The debate on Echelon took really place a year after the Report was published.  During this sittng I attended, the President of the Commission (Prodi) proposed the Council and the Commission to take joint decisons upon "Network security" based on a "European security culture", in partnership with the industry and universities for technical choices. Commissionner Likkanen explained the reasons for intercepting communications ("September 11 has changed the world"), announced the creation of a Forum (sic) and referred to the Telecommunication Council in December (2002) for addressing network security. The following debate was mainly focused on the need for a strong(er) reaction of the Commission and underlined that much time was waisted and nothing had been done by European authorities.
Probably the national gouvernments -i.e. the European Council- didn't reach a sufficient agreement for a "stronger" European reaction, since the UK but also Germany are involved in the ECHELON system. And France has its own "big ears", although their role is far less extensive.
But all that is quite usual in gouvernmemntal spheres. I repeat that CS  didn't set this very big issue on its agenda during the four years WSIS process and this bothers me and worries me much more. I'm sorry, Ralf : even if some special CS working groups at some extent dealt with "security" and "privacy", the outcomes of these meetings never mentioned ECHELON (unless there were some conficential ones!) and were brought in our plenary or C&T meetings.
That's why I propose this to change in the coming WSIS follow-up process, as I mentioned it in my earlier mail.
Best regards
Jean-Louis Fullsack.