AW: AW: [WSIS CS-Plenary] WGIG issue paper revision process?

Wolfgang Kleinwächter wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Thu Feb 10 16:48:32 GMT 2005

Dear Milton,

thanks for the clarification. In principle we are on the same page even if I have a different approach. I have my doubts whether the UNICTTF is a good model. I prefer the WGIG model. Also with the convention I have doubts whether a legally binding contract among governments will be a realistic target. Look at the Law of the Sea Convention or the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court. It will need ten years or more until you will have a signed convention and it will need another ten years until you have a substantial number of ratifications.

I would prefer something like the idea Mr. Bangemann had in 1997 with his non-binding "Global Communication Charter". But do not forget, this was watered down both by the industry (the answer was the GBDe) and by the US government. But times have changed. Probably this time it will be different.

I have also further developed my M3C3 proposal and included two new elements:
a. a very general (Framework) MoU among all institutional players, involved in the management of the different issues which are directly or indirectly linked to Internet Governance issues
b. the creation of an "United Nations Internet Governance Coordination Mechanism" (UNIG.COM), composed along the lines of the WGIG (real multistakeholderism) as something like a "clearinghouse" or "watchdog", which would
i. obeserve the totality of IG developments,
ii. produce an annual report
iii. send the report to Kofi Annan who will send it to the General Assembly for discussion by UN member states.

UNIG.COM would have no decision making power, it would not interfere into the business of the relevant organisations, it would not be responsible for any concrete issue but would work like an early warning system which rings the bells if something goes wrong in the "mechanism".

Best

wolfgang