[WSIS CS-Plenary] RE: [Pwd] Disability Caucus speaking slot on 25th Friday

zara zara at arobas.net
Fri Feb 25 04:47:18 GMT 2005

Hi,

I would add to this discussion that Rehabilitation International and ICTA
Global have also recommended in their position paper[1] of May 2003 on the
draft declaration and action plan of phase 1 of WSIS that it is important
for governments to support the work being done by organisations in the field
of standards.

<quote>
Finally, we believe that governments may play an important role in the
development and generalised acceptance of standards of accessibility. In one
sense, they can lead by example through commitments concerning the adoption
of standards that take accessibility for persons with disabilities into
account. From another perspective, their role is important in supporting the
work of organisations such as the Web Accessibility Initiative in the
development of standards of accessibility.

Several years can elapse between the appearance of a new technology and the
adoption of comprehensive, consensus-based standards, and standardisation
organisations must have the necessary means to stay at the forefront of
development. This is particularly important in the area of accessibility for
persons with disabilities, because the developments in the new technologies
sector take place at a rapid pace, and it is important to intervene rapidly
to avoid new disabling situations.[2]
</quote>

Standards have been identified by WSIS as a key factor in the development of
the Information Society and, despite the amazing contribution of various
stakeholders (many on a voluntary basis), the reality is that developing and
promoting the adoption of standards costs money and there needs to be a
clear commitment to support the work in this area, as much "locally" as
globally.

For the moment, it would certainly be worth mentioning the importance of
pursuing and renewing commitments to support the development and
dissemination of one of the building blocks of the Information Society and
particularly in the field of accessibility as it contributes directly to a
core objective of WSIS, i.e. bridging the digital divide.

With requests comes a certain responsibility of trying to propose strategies
to attain these objectives.  I imagine that Hiroshi, being presently in the
trenches, so to speak, is best placed to tell us what prepcom2 will lead to
at this point and how we might contribute to ensure that adequate strategies
are supported by governments and other contributing stakeholders in this
area.

I hope this helps.  Best regards,

Catherine
--