[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [WSIS-CT] Background of my objection on final statement of Internet Governance Caucus

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Fri Feb 25 11:12:00 GMT 2005

Hi YJ and all,

Le jeudi, 24 fév 2005, à 20:39 Europe/Paris, YJ Park a écrit :

> WSIS CS is willing to pick up human rights issues of Tunisian gov't
> practice but have no guts to talk about collection of finger prints and
> eye inspection whenever people from other countries enter the USA.
>
> Where are human rights activists who address this issue at WSIS?
> How can CS at WSIS be so sensitive to human rights issues of South
> Gov't and numb to that of governments from the North?

I would like to draw your attention to the human rights caucus
statement on internet governance, read by Rikke at Thursday governement
plenary, which I'm again including below. You may also want to have a
look at the privacy & security WG statement on internet governance,
also read in plenary session the same day, and which is at:
http://www.andycarvin.com/archives/2005/02/privacy_as_an_e.html

You'll find that the HR caucus statement has expressed specific
concerns on the fact that "the current forum for domain name management
is a private party, dominated by a limited number of countries and
based on a contract with a single government" and that it lacks
inclusion, like many Internet protocols and standard setting bodies,
from developing countries. You'll also find that it calls governements
to take their responsibilities, and not dilute them into a fuzzy
"multistakeholder partnership".

Moreover, as one of the few persons having kept raising deep concerns
since early steps of WSIS regarding "multistakeholder partnership", I
feel rather comfortable with the fact that the Internet governance
caucus statement has been agreed upon by many caucuses, including the
HR caucus, in a very inclusive and open process during internet
governance caucus meeting and, later, during the C&T meeting session.
The reasons are that:
(1) one has to acknowledge that the vast majority of CS organizations
are favoring the multistakeholder approach, and even though my own
organization is against that (and I know that many HR caucus members
also are), one cannot fairly object to the current reality at WSIS,
(2) the Internet governance caucus has made efforts to make substantive
changes in the first version of its statement, so as to accomodate
different views and thus get support beyond the sole internet
governance caucus, while the statement was not presented on behalf of
the whole CS,
and, (3), that, with the HR caucus statement at least, other views have
been strongly expressed. And this has been made not against, but with
the support of the internet governance caucus.

Finally, I'd be very grateful if you refreign from inappropriate
comparisons between the HR situation in Tunisia and in some other
countries (specially when you only express concerns on collection of
finger prints and eye inspection whenever people from other countries
enter the USA, while this country should be accused of far more drastic
HR violations, including violations of human integrity and dignity), if
only for the minimal respect due to the situation of HR defenders in
Tunisia. I'd also be very grateful if you refreign from joining the
global south instrumentalization game here : frankly, I had enough of
this from the official Tunisians themselves during this last two weeks.
Many thanks in advance for that.

Best,
Meryem

======
HUMAN RIGHTS AND INTERNET GOVERNANCE
Statement by the Civil Society Human Rights Caucus
23 February 2005, Geneva

Rikke Frank Joergensen from the Danish Institute for Human Rights
On behalf of the Human Rights Caucus

1. The civil society human rights caucus would like to express our
support to the open and inclusive approach, which has been taken so far
by the working group on Internet Governance. However, we wish to
express our concerns with the following issues.

2. Internet governance has important impact on human rights and
democracy. Whether defined broadly or narrowly, at least human right
issues of privacy, freedom of expression, access to information, and
the public domain of knowledge are at stake in Internet governance. The
effective enjoyment of freedom expression and the right to assembly is
tightly linked with the protection of privacy. In addition, the current
forum for domain name management is a private party, dominated by a
limited number of countries and based on a contract with a single
government. This lack of inclusion of especially developing countries
also applies to many Internet protocols and standard setting bodies.
Any decision resulting from WSIS on Internet governance must ensure
that future mechanisms are human rights compliant, both through their
composition and governing structures and through regular assessment of
their decisions.

3. The civil society human rights caucus is deeply concerned with the
tendency to address any Internet related aspect within the framework of
Internet governance. We recognize that a number of transnational issues
related to Internet lack a global space for political discussions and
agreement. However, discussions on issues such as privacy, freedom of
expression, prohibition against discrimination, access to information,
intellectual property, and illegal content, must be addressed within a
human rights framework. Internet governance must not result in a
lawless zone escaping international human rights protection. This is
especially important since, in the information society context, a
number of human rights are threatened.

4. We agreed to develop an information society based on human rights.
As reaffirmed in the Geneva Declaration of principles, the information
society should be based on the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
and the UN Charter, protecting and upholding the universality and the
indivisibility of all human rights, and their centrality to democracy,
the rule of law and to development. The protection of human right
standards is the first responsibility of governments. It is a state
responsibility to ensure that Internet governance mechanisms are
compliant with human right standards, that there are means to enforce
them, and that governments can be held accountable for human rights
violations, including before international courts. Holding governments
responsible and accountable for human rights protection does not
exclude the active participation of private parties and civil society;
however there must be clear divisions of responsibility.

5. An essential feature of Internet relates to its transnational
nature. International agreements have traditionally been based on the
assumption of territorial jurisdiction, whereas Internet is a global
communication forum. One of the results of the World Summit of the
Information Society in Geneva was a growing acceptance of the Internet
as a global commons. This implies effective access for all countries to
participate in decisions regarding enjoyment of this common good.

6. Internet governance mechanisms can and should further human rights
by ensuring an enabling environment that protects and enforces human
rights standards and democratic principles of inclusiveness,
transparency, checks and balances, and the rule of law.
=========