[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [WSIS-CT] Background of my objection on final statement of Internet Governance Caucus

YJ Park yjpark at myepark.com
Fri Feb 25 11:56:25 GMT 2005

> > WSIS CS is willing to pick up human rights issues of Tunisian gov't
> > practice but have no guts to talk about collection of finger prints and
> > eye inspection whenever people from other countries enter the USA.
> >
> > Where are human rights activists who address this issue at WSIS?
> > How can CS at WSIS be so sensitive to human rights issues of South
> > Gov't and numb to that of governments from the North?
>
> I would like to draw your attention to the human rights caucus
> statement on internet governance, read by Rikke at Thursday governement
> plenary, which I'm again including below. You may also want to have a
> look at the privacy & security WG statement on internet governance,
> also read in plenary session the same day, and which is at:
> http://www.andycarvin.com/archives/2005/02/privacy_as_an_e.html

I listened to them at the plenary.

> You'll find that the HR caucus statement has expressed specific
> concerns on the fact that "the current forum for domain name management
> is a private party, dominated by a limited number of countries and
> based on a contract with a single government" and that it lacks
> inclusion, like many Internet protocols and standard setting bodies,
> from developing countries. You'll also find that it calls governements
> to take their responsibilities, and not dilute them into a fuzzy
> "multistakeholder partnership".

Found it valuable contribution.

> Moreover, as one of the few persons having kept raising deep concerns
> since early steps of WSIS regarding "multistakeholder partnership", I
> feel rather comfortable with the fact that the Internet governance
> caucus statement has been agreed upon by many caucuses, including the
> HR caucus, in a very inclusive and open process during internet
> governance caucus meeting and, later, during the C&T meeting session.
> The reasons are that:
> (1) one has to acknowledge that the vast majority of CS organizations
> are favoring the multistakeholder approach, and even though my own
> organization is against that (and I know that many HR caucus members
> also are), one cannot fairly object to the current reality at WSIS,

Then why did you approve multi-stakeholder approach?

> (2) the Internet governance caucus has made efforts to make substantive
> changes in the first version of its statement, so as to accomodate
> different views and thus get support beyond the sole internet
> governance caucus, while the statement was not presented on behalf of
> the whole CS,
> and, (3), that, with the HR caucus statement at least, other views have
> been strongly expressed. And this has been made not against, but with
> the support of the internet governance caucus.

So are you suggesting people have specific concerns in Internet Governance
should form another caucus to address Internet governance issues properly
at WSIS?

> Finally, I'd be very grateful if you refreign from inappropriate
> comparisons between the HR situation in Tunisia and in some other
> countries (specially when you only express concerns on collection of
> finger prints and eye inspection whenever people from other countries
> enter the USA, while this country should be accused of far more drastic
> HR violations, including violations of human integrity and dignity), if
> only for the minimal respect due to the situation of HR defenders in
> Tunisia. I'd also be very grateful if you refreign from joining the
> global south instrumentalization game here : frankly, I had enough of
> this from the official Tunisians themselves during this last two weeks.
> Many thanks in advance for that.

I believe political regulation depends on rulers' faith in their own power.
You probably must have heard USG did indeed the very same thing
after 911 against those who looked like Arabs and indeed many
people including non-Arabs moved to countries like Canana.

You have not heard of such stories? I have not heard any strong
objections put forwarded by human activists' voices regarding this
matter?

But you maybe right if we compare those two countries with the
same criteria. But to compare those two different nations who are
in different economic and political situation would not be quite fair.

Those countries who have unacceptable regulations on human rights
would have better system if they themselves believe they have stable
political power based on independently well-established economic
system.

Such system can be only sustainable when it is established by themselves.
Otherwise, it invites a series of tensions and distorted representation.
We can confirm this easily in many parts of the South.

Regarding global south instrumentalization theory, I cannot refreign
from what I believe is true.

Best,
YJ