[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [WSIS-CT] Background of my objection on final statement of Internet Governance Caucus

YJ Park yjpark at myepark.com
Fri Feb 25 15:02:14 GMT 2005

From: "Meryem Marzouki" <marzouki at ras.eu.org>

> YJ, I really don't find this comment fair and honnest. I've myself
> mentioned violations of human integrity and dignity by the USA. And it
> seems that you've clearly understood what it means, from Guantanamo to
> Iraq, not to mention what happened inside the US.

Then, I would expect more balanced reference in the context of human rights
between govt's from the North and gov'ts from the South from now on at
WSIS.

> > But you maybe right if we compare those two countries with the
> > same criteria. But to compare those two different nations who are
> > in different economic and political situation would not be quite fair.
> >
> > Those countries who have unacceptable regulations on human rights
> > would have better system if they themselves believe they have stable
> > political power based on independently well-established economic
> > system.
>
> Interesting how HR violations can be accepted/balanced with some
> strange, though old and well known, "arguments" (and to see the point
> that can be reached in a whole discussion started on ICANN being in the
> hands of the US government).

You cannot force which option can serve an individual better in the name
of human rights. If I have a choice, I would prefer to live as an equal
human
being under more regulated but independent country instead of surviving
as second-category "being" the way I have been struggling to make my
voices heard through ICANN(US dominated process) planet and WSIS
(European dominated process) planet.

> Respecting HR is neither a matter of
> economic development, nor a matter of culture, but, OK, let's compare
> comparable countries: what about comparing Tunisia to other North
> African/Arab/African countries? what about considering that countries
> with lower income and less developed economy may show better respect
> for HR ? and, finally, what would you think if I show you how in
> Tunisia, HR violations negatively impact ICT economy and services ? I
> can propose you to have a look, as a start, at the notes of my
> presentation at a press conference entitled "WSIS in Tunis: An
> Information Summit under Repression?" held in Geneva. They are at:
> http://www.iris.sgdg.org/actions/smsi/hr-wsis/confpresse-ai-mm-en.html

If you ask for my personal views, change or revolutionary depends on
people not governments. Governments have been reactionary. They have
to go through certain stages to build a certain level of trust between
people
and their coorresponding gov't. That process should not be intervened by
the third party in the name of justice.