[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [WSIS-CT] Background of my objection on final statement of Internet Governance Caucus

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Fri Feb 25 15:51:13 GMT 2005

Le vendredi, 25 fév 2005, à 16:02 Europe/Paris, YJ Park a écrit :

> From: "Meryem Marzouki" <marzouki at ras.eu.org>
>
>> YJ, I really don't find this comment fair and honnest. I've myself
>> mentioned violations of human integrity and dignity by the USA. And it
>> seems that you've clearly understood what it means, from Guantanamo to
>> Iraq, not to mention what happened inside the US.
>
> Then, I would expect more balanced reference in the context of human
> rights
> between govt's from the North and gov'ts from the South from now on at
> WSIS.

Why "from now on" ? From the HR caucus side at least, we address
governements globally - and making it explicit that both North and
South governments are concerned, see our documents - when dealing with
global issues, and specifically when dealing with specific issues:
China on accreditation, USA on ICANN, Tunisia as organizer of the
Summit w.r.t. to bad records on HR and specially on HR in the
information society. Isn't it legitimate to raise special concerns
regarding the WSIS host? You may also note that no single country is
mentioned by its name (although easily identified in context) in our
documents read in official plenaries, and these are UN rules.

> You cannot force which option can serve an individual better in the
> name
> of human rights.
> [...]
> If you ask for my personal views, change or revolutionary depends on
> people not governments. Governments have been reactionary. They have
> to go through certain stages to build a certain level of trust between
> people
> and their coorresponding gov't. That process should not be intervened
> by
> the third party in the name of justice.

I hope you're aware of the fact that, by saying that, you're ignoring
years of progresses in a (still ongoing) battle for the universality of
human rights... and their indivisibility. You also seem to ignore that
there is something called non-derogable rights, so considered because
of their special value recognized by the international community.
Let me add that you're arguing against the wrong person, and the wrong
caucus, ICANN/sovereignty matters-wise :-), but this is not a problem
for me.

Meryem