[WSIS CS-Plenary] YJ's objection and the CS-PS statement

mclauglm at po.muohio.edu mclauglm at po.muohio.edu
Fri Feb 25 19:14:34 GMT 2005

I originally sent the following message to Milton off-list, but it
now seems appropriate to respond more publicly with this. And, I do
so with the wish that we please stop the name-calling. Of course I
will support your freedom to express your opinion that my and others'
position is sectarian; at the same time, I will refrain from
characterizing in a flippant fashion those views with which I differ.

Lisa

Milton,

Please offer a substantive definition of what constitutes "winning"
and "losing"; otherwise, it is difficult to respond to the following.
I assume that you're expressing something that has come out of your
research. My research suggests that the private sector aligns more
effectively with the US government and other more thoroughly
neoliberal actors than with what we are calling civil society, this
entity that has many more constituencies than owners and
stockholders. Much of my argument is based on a very thorough
analysis of what is the CCBI, a group that did not appear just in
time for the WSIS but which has a long history of making agreements
so long as it does not have to be accountable to anyone or any
regulation. My arguments don't come from some knee-jerk reaction but
from systematic analysis of the background of the ICC, the "parent
company" of CCBI, along with analyses of private sector entity
practices (Cisco, Hewlett Packard, and so on). I assume that your
arguments do as well but that we occupy different places on the
political spectrum, what with research being not as objective as some
might claim. Perhaps we simply will have to agree to disagree. But
from my perspective the point is that this CS-PS statement shakes
down to an alliance in which a supposed "we" are asking not only that
CS has greater access to the multi-stakeholder follow-up process but
that the PS does as well. From my point of view, this nurtures
market-led development, an approach that has already reinforced who
are the winners and the losers in the digital world. The immediate
thrust of my point is that we should have the right not to be
represented as part of this "we" if we so choose. That's why I have
requested endorsement via signatories to the statement.

Lisa