[WSIS CS-Plenary] YJ's objection and the CS-PS statement

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wz-berlin.de
Fri Feb 25 20:17:12 GMT 2005

Milton Mueller wrote:

>>A CS-PS joint statement is different from a statement on a specific
>>issue signed by some CS organizations together with some private

>>And yes, the private sector is heterogeneous, but perhaps not as
>>much as CS,
>

> The "other" is always more homogeneous than "we" are, isn't it? ;-)
> Anyway, as you indicated, the line between PS and CS
> depends on one's theory of CS.
#
Hi, the discussion between MM & MM on the private sector and the "other"
reminds me of something I read recently and thought about sharing with you.

It is an article about the "polorazing discourse of Civil Society"
written by Jeffrey C. Alexander. I won't bore you with details but focus
on what I see as the gist of his essay.

Alexander defines civil society as a shere of solidarity between
political, economic, and religious life. Civil society depends on these
other spheres but maintains some (relative) autonomy from them.

Among many other things, civil society is a network of understandings.
Part of this understanding is who and what (issues, organizations,
ideas, rules, etc) is in and what is outside of civil society. According
to Alexander, we use symbolic codes to distinguish between what we
regard as inside and as outside. "It is in terms of symbolic purity and
impurity" that a central or marginal status of people or positions is
defined. "Just as there is no developed religion that does not divide
the world into the saved and the damned, there is no civil discourse
that does not conceptualize the world into those who deserve inclusion
and those who do not."

Alexander offers long lists of binary categories that allow to
distinguish between inside and outside. Most of them we know and use
too: law versus power, inclusive versus exclusive, social groups versus
factions, open/secret, etc. According to Alexander, this symbolic
structure goes back to the ancient greeks.

What is usually contested in civil societies is not the symbolic code
itself but how it should be applied, in other words, who is supposed to
be the enemy.We don't argue about the distinction between democracy and
repression but about what deserves to be called democratic.

The recent debates on the plenary and the governance list reminded me of
Alexander's essay. He regards such dynamics as unavoidable patterns of
all civil societies.
I am not sure if I believe this. What I am quite sure about is that it
is within our power to keep arguments on a non-distructiv level, i.e. by
defining what forms of statements we regard as acceptable.

jeanette