[WSIS CS-Plenary] Liberation/Francia: l'accord Microsoft-UNESCO - English translation

Martin Olivera martin_olivera at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Jan 5 22:15:33 GMT 2005

 --- Robert Guerra <rguerra at lists.privaterra.org>
escribió:
> UNDP signed the agreement at the WSIS summit - and
> wasn't caught by
> many until months after. That we are reacting
> quicker to the UNESCO
> development is good, but too late?
>
> In regards to IDRC, do we know if any other
> "agreements" have been
> signed between M$ and other development agencies? If
> so, it would be
> an - expected -  political move by M$ to stop the
> success of open
> source software deployment.

Of course it is so, MS was/is signing very similar
agreements with Education Ministries of countries all
around the globe. The MS move in spanish is called
"Alianza por la Educacion"[1] what it really is a
Trojan Horse against technological independence and
local development of those countries. M$-UNESCO
agreement is a logical step on the same path.

They offer Windows upgrades at no cost (so you have to
have acquired previous licenses) and free training on
their products for the teachers (<ironic>WOW, what a
good fellows! they teach the teachers how to use their
products and how to spread this "knowledge" to the
pupils!</ironic> creating more and more future
depending clients... this is called "Partners in
learning" program[2]

It is terrific that Education Ministries allow that a
company define the educational content and curricula,
but the things are so... how would we react as CS?
The only way I know is becaming people more conciuoss.
Please spread the issue!

> At 5:27 PM -0200 1/5/05, Carlos Afonso wrote:
> >Unesco remains totally silent regarding critiques
> or requests for
> >clarification on this agreement. By the way, UNDP
> and IDRC have
> >signed similar agreements with M$. Ah, the power of
> money...

Could not we, as WSIS-CS ask oficially UNDP and UNESCO
about their agreements with MS? I hope it may be
answered at least...

[1]
http://www.microsoft.com/latam/educacion/alianzaporlaeducacion/
Latinoamerica:  Argentina - Brasil - Chile - Colombia
- Costa Rica - República Dominicana - Ecuador - El
Salvador - Guatemala - Honduras - Jamaica - México -
Panamá - Perú - Puerto Rico - Uruguay - Venezuela

[2]
http://www.microsoft.com/Education/PartnersinLearning.aspx

Africa/middle east: Angola • Bahrain • Egypt • Ghana •
Iraq  • Israel • Jordan • Kenya • Kuwait • Latvia •
Lebanon • Madagascar • Morocco • Mozambique • Namibia
• Pakistan • Rwanda • Saudi Arabia • South Africa •
Turkey • Yemen

South America: Argentina • Brazil • Chile • Colombia •
 Ecuador • Peru • Uruguay • Venezuela

Asia/south pacific: Australia • China • Hong Kong •
India • Japan • Malaysia • Philippines • Singapore •
Thailand

North/Central America: Canada • Costa Rica • Dominican
Republic • El Salvador • Guatemala • Honduras •
Jamaica • Mexico • Panama • Puerto Rico • United
States

Europe: Austria • Belgium • Bulgaria • Croatia •
Czech Republic • Denmark • Estonia • Finland • France
•	 Germany • Greece • Hungary • Iceland • Ireland •
Italy • Latvia • Lithuania • Malta • Netherlands •
Norway •	Poland • Portugal • Romania • Russia • Serbia
and Montenegro • Slovakia • Spain • Sweden •
Switzerland • 	Turkey • United Kingdom • Ukraine

Martín Olivera

=====
SOLAR Software Libre Argentina
http://www.solar.org.ar