[WSIS CS-Plenary] UN Official Document System is online

Bill McIver Bill.McIver at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Thu Jan 6 13:54:32 GMT 2005

Jonathan,

Several of us have already made this point.

WJM

Jonathan Cave wrote:

> Dear Kouraich (and others)
>
> I am sorry, but the test you ran was incomplete - please try to read
> the files located by a query. I have repeated my earlier experiment
> with Mozilla 1.3.1 as well as Firefox 1.0. Viewing the site is OK, and
> queries are OK, but the documents found cannot be viewed.
>
> I think there is a basic misunderstanding: the query system does work.
> But a query system that does not give access to the documents located
> is, shall we say, of limited utility.
>
> Please try again.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Jonathan
>
> At 13:27 06/01/2005, Ramin.Kaweh at unctad.org wrote:
>
>> Please see below the message from our Information-Communication
>> Officer, re. the ODS :
>>
>> I did not try the ODS site on Macintosh, but I did try it on PC, and
>> I can affirm that it is not right that the system works only on
>> Internet Explorer.
>>
>> I tried it on the following browsers :
>> - Internet Explorer
>> - Netscape
>> - Fast Browser
>> - and the open source software : Mozilla Firefox
>>
>> All of these softwares can display the site and the same results for
>> the queries requested.
>>
>> The only problem that I saw was with a browser called "Opera", which
>> has not a very large number of users, and which can display the first
>> pages of the ODS site , but instead of the result of the research, it
>> displays the following error message : "Notes error: Query is not
>> understandable".
>>
>> Regards
>> Kouraich
>> (kouraich.jaouahdou at unctad.org)
>>

>> *"Rui Correia" <correia.rui at gmail.com>*
>> Sent by: plenary-admin at wsis-cs.org
>>
>> 06.01.2005 11:28
>> Please respond to plenary
>>         To:        <plenary at wsis-cs.org>
>>         cc:        "'James Evans'" <james.botswana at gmail.com>, "'"Jan
>> Pförtsch"'" <jan.pfoertsch at t-online.de>
>>         Subject:        RE: [WSIS CS-Plenary] UN Official Document
>> System is online
>>

>> I tried with Opera. Fine for browsing, but when it came to accessing
>> documents (Java), server timed out. I insisted and ABRACADABRA, it
>> opened!!!!

>> Rui Correia
>> Advocacy, Media and Language Consultant
>> 36 Finch St,
>> Ontdekkers Park, Roodepoort,
>> Johannesburg, South Africa
>> Tel/ Fax (+27-11) 766-4336
>> Cell (+27) (0) 83-368-1214

Bill McIver, Ph.D
==
Research Officer                      | Agent de recherche
e-Government/e-Citizen Group          | Groupe de gouvernement ?lectronique/citoyen ?lectronique
National Research Council             | Conseil national de recherches Canada
Institute for Information Technology  | Institut de technologie de l'information
46 Dineen Drive                       | 46, promenade Dineen
Fredericton, NB E3B 9W4 Canada        | Fredericton, NB E3B 9W4 Canada
E-mail: Bill.McIver at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca    | Courriel: Bill.McIver at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
==