[WSIS CS-Plenary] UN Official Document System is online

Bill McIver Bill.McIver at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Fri Jan 7 17:55:52 GMT 2005

Martin,

First, I agree with you that the WGIG has a lot on its plate already.

Respectfully, I think the question you pose is too narrow though.
The question is should be:

  What responsibliities should be included within
  the concept of governance of the information
  society (or societies)?

In my opinion, we need to cover more than names and numbers, IPv6, etc...

Andy Carvin's point yesterday about the US 508 regulations is but one
example of the type of relationship that I am describing.

We should not just view this is an isolated issue
involving a specific set of technologies, nor is it just about the UN.
It is really about the broader issues of good design and implementation
practices,
and the identification of and adherence to good standards.

Parts of the engineering and computer science community (of which I am a
part)
have been addressing these issues for a long time, both in terms of
research and practice.
Yet, we seem to be discussing it here as if our role is to just
wait for bad designs to pop up and then to criticize them on an
individual basis.
This is not acceptable for public information systems.

Certainly more needs to be done within the communities that
design and deploy technologies to raise awareness and force change, but
in the
context of WSIS more needs to be done to speak more directly to
IT professionals and organizations about they way they work.

It is almost as if the people and processes involved in
engineer ICTs don't exist within the WSIS.

Best,

WJM

Martin Olivera wrote:

>  --- Bill McIver <Bill.McIver at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca>
> escribió:
> >
> > All,
> >
> > We should approach the issues separately.
> >
> > I think the first two could be done quickly and
> > put into a report and a request.
> >

> > More importantly, this *type* of problem should be
> > covered by the results of
> > the WGIG. This is the broader perspective of what IG
> > means that some
> > people where arguing
> > for in the first phase.
>
> What has to do Internet Governance with accesing
> problem in a MS-biaased public UN site?
> I think that many people is giving WGIG a lot of more
> responsabilities than necessary...
> >

> > WJM
> >

> > Robert Guerra wrote:
> >
> > > trying to be productive...
> > >
> > > Any way we can communicate the results of our
> > "tests" to the relevant
> > > UN Officials so that they can perhaps try to fix
> > it ASAP.
> > >
> > > If they can not, then i would suggest that we
> > start the process of
> > > formulating a formal press release to inform the
> > world about the lack
> > > of standards..
> > >
> > > regards
> > >
> > > Robert

> > Accessible New Year.

> > getting to the documents,
> > non-IE browsers on Windows
> > Microsoft and is
> > >
> > > --
> > > ###
> > > Robert Guerra <rguerra at privaterra.org>
> > > Privaterra - <http://www.privaterra.org>
> > >

> > --
> > Bill McIver, Ph.D
> > ==
> > Research Officer                      | Agent de
> > recherche
> > e-Government/e-Citizen Group          | Groupe de
> > gouvernement ?lectronique/citoyen ?lectronique
> > National Research Council             | Conseil
> > national de recherches Canada
> > Institute for Information Technology  | Institut de
> > technologie de l'information
> > 46 Dineen Drive                       | 46,
> > promenade Dineen
> > Fredericton, NB E3B 9W4 Canada        | Fredericton,
> > NB E3B 9W4 Canada
> > E-mail: Bill.McIver at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca    | Courriel:
> > Bill.McIver at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
> > ==