[WSIS CS-Plenary] About WGIG mission: what is it for?

Martin Olivera martin_olivera at yahoo.com.ar
Fri Jan 7 18:36:42 GMT 2005

 --- Bill McIver <Bill.McIver at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca>
escribió:

> Martin,
>
> First, I agree with you that the WGIG has a lot on
> its plate already.

Hi, Bill, sorry if it sounded hard, I am trying to
help and avoid one-over-one-another burocratic teams
and organisms, overlapping incumbences. We, the
humans, have just a lot of them.

> Respectfully, I think the question you pose is too
> narrow though.
> The question is should be:
>
>   What responsibliities should be included within
>   the concept of governance of the information
>   society (or societies)?

Well, that is the point. At first, defining concepts,
what do you define as governance? I find this word
very similar to governement, but I am a spanish native
speaker and in my language I do not know something
different to Gobierno = Governmwent.
WGIG issue was about Internet Governance (what does it
mean exactly?) and NEVER was their planned mission to
govern the Information Society. Internet is nos the
same than the Information Society.

I am seeing that many members of the WGIG do not know
yet what is exactly WGIG mission and scope (nor I), so
how was they elected to do something that nobody knows
what involves? How are we sure that is the proper
peole if we do not know yet what to do?

What are they? representatives of we, the people, to
build an Information Society Constitution?
If that were the matter, I found the WGIG absoultely
biased and not properly builded. If you are thinking
to regulate the Informatiuon Society, you should
accept that Cyberspace is a new territory discovered
and created by Humanity and nobody should try to
govern it in an authocratic way. Democracy is the best
alternative we know for government, so, if some
Information Society Government were needed (I do not
think it is necessary a content regulation from a
centralized body, I call it censorship) it should be
democratically votedin the more inclusive and
minory-respecting way.

Sorry for the message length, I just wnat to ask the
WGIG members here, could you please send a document
about the organism mission and objectives, if it is
yet discussed?

But,

Indid not understand thnat WGIG should NEVER govern
the Information Society

http://iit-iti.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/iit-personnel-iti/e-government-gouvernement-e_e.html

> > =====
> > SOLAR Software Libre Argentina