[WSIS CS-Plenary] UN Official Document System is online

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Sat Jan 8 11:28:56 GMT 2005

Georg C. F. Greve ha scritto:
> As a result, the setup of the UN WGIG in particular has failed to
> involve the groups that actually shape what the WGIG is thinking about
> governing. Neither Free Software, nor Patents, Copyrights, Trademarks
> (PCT) issues are represented in the WGIG, although both fundamentally
> affect the shape of the internet.

I'm not looking forward to appearing as a defender of the establishment
but... how can you say this? I mean, it is true that none of the people
put forward by the PCT Caucus were picked up by the UN, but this does not
automatically mean that no one cares about free software in the WGIG, or
that no one is willing to represent and promote its principles.

I and other WGIG members are more than willing to take up the cause of
free software (actually, I'm right in the middle of drafting my proposed
WGIG draft on the "intellectual property" issue, which I will try to
circulate to the possible extent once finished - and yes, it starts by
noting that some stakeholders contest the use of the term itself). If you
look at the list of governments who are represented in the WGIG, you will
notice many countries that were among the promoters of the WIPO
Development Agenda. So I wouldn't say in advance that the WGIG is biased
against free software - I would at least wait for the results to judge.
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------
http://bertola.eu.org/  <- Vecchio sito, nuovo toblòg...