[WSIS CS-Plenary] UN Official Document System is online

Georg C. F. Greve greve at fsfeurope.org
Sat Jan 8 11:04:40 GMT 2005

 || On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 13:55:52 -0400
 || Bill McIver <Bill.McIver at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote:

 bm> Certainly more needs to be done within the communities that
 bm> design and deploy technologies to raise awareness and force
 bm> change, but in the context of WSIS more needs to be done to speak
 bm> more directly to IT professionals and organizations about they
 bm> way they work.  It is almost as if the people and processes
 bm> involved in engineer ICTs don't exist within the WSIS.

Similar thoughts have also occured to me in the past.

My personal feeling is that this summit came too early. The political
players involved -- in particular those from the governmental side --
were not prepared to deal with this subject and try to reflexively
apply old approaches.

As a result, the setup of the UN WGIG in particular has failed to
involve the groups that actually shape what the WGIG is thinking about
governing. Neither Free Software, nor Patents, Copyrights, Trademarks
(PCT) issues are represented in the WGIG, although both fundamentally
affect the shape of the internet.

This really only leaves limiting the scope and effect of the UN WGIG
as much as possible to avoid wasting resources and doing potentially
irreparable harm or harm that would take a lot of work and resources
to undo.

Regards,
Georg

--