[WSIS CS-Plenary] UN Official Document System is online

Georg C. F. Greve greve at fsfeurope.org
Sun Jan 9 12:20:33 GMT 2005

 || On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 17:37:05 +0100
 || Vittorio Bertola <vb at bertola.eu.org> wrote:

 vb> All in all, perhaps this thread should be moved to the Working
 vb> Methods WG, even if in that group too there is some discussion on
 vb> "broad vs narrow" issues... that is, only fixing short term
 vb> issues such as "how do we appoint CS speakers at PrepCom-2",
 vb> rather than trying to settle these high level matters once for
 vb> all.

On a procedural level, I would like to comment that since the plenary
has the highest legitimity imho, issues of who should represent it and
how those representatives should be found have to be given thorough
review and discussion here.

Whatever you may be discussing in the Working Methods WG should be
presented to the plenary and will be reviewed here with the potential
result that it will have to be redone. Involving the plenary to some
amount therefore seems to be quite advisable.

Slightly off-topic and *not* aimed directly at you, Vittorio:

Regarding statements about "broad vs narrow" I believe I said this
before, but will say it again: I am starting to consider any such
statement discrediting to the person making it.

For me it is relatively easy to find lots of justified arguments why
Free Software or PCT are the broadest issues of them all -- and I know
that others can do the same for their areas.

Never have I encountered anyone during the WSIS who could not make a
reasonable and justified case for this and believe that the issue of
"broad vs narrow" is purely one of perspective and is only used as an
attempt to raise your own topic above all others.

It is a recurring theme of trying to make yourself greater by making
others smaller, which I don't like; and upon realizing this have
stopped using early on in the WSIS.

I hope others will follow that example as I think this is one step
towards cooperation in mutual respect and in a constructive way.

Regards,
Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve                                 <greve at fsfeurope.org>