[WSIS CS-Plenary] UN Official Document System is online

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wz-berlin.de
Mon Jan 10 11:12:30 GMT 2005

Georg,

> I am quite surprised that you seem to question this as that would also
> mean that the internet governance caucus is also not representative
> for civil society on internet governance issues and therefore all
> Civil Society participants in the WGIG would lose their
> representativity on any issue.

I am surprised that you are surprised. The fact that none of the working
groups and caucuses can claim to represent civil society has been one
the basic assumptions shaping the selection process. How could any of
the CS groups involved in WSIS claim to represent or speak for other CS
people not actively involved? In a transnatinal setting the concept of
representativeness doesn't work to begin with. Likewise, civil society
cannot form representative structures in the sense a parliament may
represent the people.  The only thing civil society groups can and
should strive for are legitimate procedures.

> In short: if you question that structure as you seem to have done, you
> make the statement that Civil Society is not represented in the WGIG,
> at all, only some people are there for personal entertainment.

I don't think 'personal entertainment' is a necessary alternative to
representation. We had put together a list of competences and features
we wanted to see involved in WGIG. The call for nomination talks about
"diversity", representativity:

"We consider it critical that a balanced WGIG be drawn from a multi
dimensional consideration of diversity.  That is, diversity in terms of
sector, region, gender, and language background, among others, must be
considered in assembling the WGIG.  It is also important that there be a
balance between members from developing and developed countries.  It is
also considered very important that candidates have a degree of
knowledge of the issues, including policy, legal and technical, involved
in the Internet governance debate. We also suggest candidates should
have experience working in an international committee environment, be
aware of ICT for development issues and human rights. No candidate is
expected to have all these qualities, but we are suggesting they should
be people with broad experience.

It is considered critical that though all participants come from
different perspectives, they should be people who are willing to listen
and consider carefully the views of others.  It is expected that the
best outcome for the WGIG will come from an assembly of open minded
individuals who can share their knowledge and expertise in an
cooperative manner."

jeanette