[WSIS CS-Plenary] PCT and WGIG

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Wed Jan 12 20:54:52 GMT 2005

>>> mjr at dsl.pipex.com 1/11/2005 9:29:31 AM >>>
>Can someone please explain to me how safeguards about new enclosures
>(DRRT, GURT and so on) and free software issues - which are vital to
>many civil society groups - will be ensured by WGIG? I wonder because

>of the claims that no sympathetic wsis-pct member is there.

Interesting question.

First, be aware that _nothing_ will be "ensured" by the WGIG. The WGIG
is not a policy making or treaty negotiation group, it is writing a
report. Implementation of its recommendations (if it is able to make
substantive recommendations at all, which may not happen) depends on
actions by governments.

Second, last I recall, key PCT caucus members, including Stallman, were
lobbying the governance caucus to avoid raising intellectual property
issues on the WGIG at all. Others, including myself, were arguing that
WGIG needed to address these issues vigorously. Have the FS advocates
changed their tune now? If so, good, and welcome.

Third, I do think it somewhat unfortunate that no free/open source
software expert/advocate is on the WGIG. However, civil society members
of the WGIG are on this list and seem to be reasonably responsive to
positions that are advocated and accepted here.

--MM

p.s. don't waste time lecturing me about "PCT" vs. "intellectual
property" as a label. It's a rat hole. I am entirely familiar with the
sayings of Chairman Stallman on that subject, and nevertheless find the
semantic debate meaningless.