[WSIS CS-Plenary] UN Official Document System is online

Enrique A. Chaparro echaparro at uolsinectis.com.ar
Thu Jan 13 00:16:43 GMT 2005

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:13:48 -0500
"Milton Mueller" <Mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

MM> Many people involved in WSIS-CS have an interest in intellectual
MM> property issues but were not involved in the PCT working group. For
MM> example, those of us involved in ICANN directly, must deal with
MM> trademark issues as they affect domain names.  We also confront the
MM> pressures of copyright and trademark holders to compromise the privacy
MM> of domain name registrants by means of public Whois data.

ICANN intends to impose a supranational legal framework (the infamous
"Uniform Dispute Resolution Policy") without the provisions of due
process and well beyond its charter, in a field that is already
covered by the law of sovereign countries. Not a good example at all.

Regards,

Enrique

--
``Izena duen guzia omen da.''