[WSIS CS-Plenary] PCT and WGIG

Georg C. F. Greve greve at fsfeurope.org
Thu Jan 13 14:33:23 GMT 2005

 || On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 15:54:52 -0500
 || "Milton Mueller" <Mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

 mm> Have the FS advocates changed their tune now?

No change in position has taken place.

As far as I know, since I of course cannot speak officially for him,
Richard has thought and still thinks that the issues would be better
served if they were kept out of the WGIG. Given the current situation
and composition of the WGIG, that may have been a very good notion.

I myself always expected these issues to be addressed within the scope
of the WGIG and never made a secret of that opinion, which is also why
I took care along with Francis Muguet to ensure the PCT working group
would provide a solid list of excellent candidates in due time, which
it did.

Only when it became clear that the PCT working group had been actively
excluded from the WGIG and after these issues were not mentioned at
the setup of the WGIG did I ask to keep them out of it and not expand
the scope of the WGIG into areas where no Civil Society representative
was included.

 mm> However, civil society members of the WGIG are on this list and
 mm> seem to be reasonably responsive to positions that are advocated
 mm> and accepted here.

If the ability of providing outside documents and input was sufficient
to really make a change, there would not be any need for Civil Society
representatives in the WGIG.

As all of us who participated to the working groups in phase one and
were fighting for Civil Society access to them know from experience,
once it comes to the important text-negotiations, this turns into a
work-intensive, useless channel and leaves the outsiders view on the
issues essentially unrepresented.

Regards,
Georg

--