[WSIS CS-Plenary] UN Official Document System is online

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Wed Jan 12 21:13:48 GMT 2005

>>> greve at fsfeurope.org 1/9/2005 7:10:25 AM >>>
>If a thematic area is not to be part of the working group, then there
>is no need to have the chosen representatives for these thematic
areas
>in the working group.

Many people involved in WSIS-CS have an interest in intellectual
property issues but were not involved in the PCT working group. For
example, those of us involved in ICANN directly, must deal with
trademark issues as they affect domain names.  We also confront the
pressures of copyright and trademark holders to compromise the privacy
of domain name registrants by means of public Whois data.

In general, many people involved in WSIS-CS are aware of the degree to
which TRIPS, the WIPO 'casting treaty, and other developments pit
intellectual property protection against other values, such as free
expression, free information technology development, or free trade. Many
people interested in these issues have joined the Internet governance
caucus rather than the PCT caucus. They might also have joined the media
caucus or regional caucuses.

To conclude, I would have to reject absolutely your suggestion that the
PCT caucus has some kind of authoritative status on position development
in this area. I must also reject the suggestion that the absence of PCT
caucus selections from the WGIG means that PCT/intellectual property
issues cannot be addressed by the WGIG. I think it unreasonable to even
suggest that.

--MM