[WSIS CS-Plenary] PCT and WGIG

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Fri Jan 14 08:17:23 GMT 2005

Enrique A. Chaparro ha scritto:
> MM> The problem, as you probably know, is the tendency of the
> MM> "card-carrying" FS movement cadre to act like a rigid ideological
> MM> faction, reminiscent of some Maoist group from the antiwar movements
> MM> of the 1970s. If they are wondering why they weren't put on the WGIG,
> MM> that may be part of the explanation.
>
> I find your statement as insulting as I had written, regarding your
> position about "collaborative" software, that your attitude is
> reminiscent of a proprietary software marketroid. Maybe you should
> moderate your tone and offer apologies.

While I think that everyone should moderate the tone, and while I'd
possibly not have used those terms, and while I'm not sure which term
exactly you found insulting... I must confess that my perception is
similar to Milton's. It seems that PCT caucus members consider the free
software concept as if it was (C) FSF/FSFE, and no one else was allowed to
use it, promote it, modify it or even discuss it without their authorization.

So I think that this discussion could be much more productive for civil
society in its entirety and for the cause of a better intellectual rights
system, if you took the chance to think at why you cannot build consensus
around your ideas and your leaders, even among other civil society groups
and organizations. If so, how can you think to build consensus among those
who make decisions?

I'm sure that if we met in peace around a beer, be it free or not, we
would share 90% of our ideas. So I can't understand why we can't route
around the remaining 10% and work on our common objectives.
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------
http://bertola.eu.org/  <- Vecchio sito, nuovo toblòg...