[WSIS CS-Plenary] PCT and WGIG

Beatriz Busaniche beatriz at maxmedia.com.ar
Fri Jan 14 14:32:37 GMT 2005

El vie, 14-01-2005 a las 09:17 +0100, Vittorio Bertola escribió:
> It seems that PCT caucus members consider the free
> software concept as if it was (C) FSF/FSFE, and no one else was allowed to
> use it, promote it, modify it or even discuss it without their authorization.

I don't think you meant to say that anybody ought to be able to modify
the meaning of a concept, because that would be absurd. Should I be able
to change the meaning of "gender equality" to suit my understanding of
the issue?

Of course anybody can discuss it. But the issue of free software is
complex, and even people who are genuinely interested in it often fail
to understand extremely important aspects of it. That is why we keep
offering advice on the issue, and insist that people with deep knowledge
of the subject be present when policy involving it is being discussed,
lest we end up with a well-meant policy that actually is
counterproductive for free software.