[WSIS CS-Plenary] PCT and WGIG

avri at acm.org avri at acm.org
Sun Jan 16 17:15:10 GMT 2005

On 16 jan 2005, at 09.39, Beatriz Busaniche wrote:

> Just don't go
> around telling people that your ideas are those of the free software
> movement before checking with us first, thank you.

Am I to understand that the Free Software Foundation is the free
software movement and that there is no free software movement outside
of the FSF?

If not, then it seems that people can be part of the free software
movement without belonging to FSF or to the FOSS caucus. And it seems
that they can have ideas on free software and the movement that have
not been vetted with you.

For my part, having no desire to comment on the morality of either the
FSF or of Maoists, I consider myself a fellow traveller of the free
software movement.  I support the sentiments and many of the overall
goals,  but not necessarily all the positions taken.  And while I will
never identify myself as a representative of the movement, i am
generally sympathetic to its positions.  I would personally find it
helpful to see short position papers contributed to the WGIG process on
some of the specific issues, outlined in
      http://www.wgig.org/docs/inventory-issues.html
that discuss the specific FSF/FOSS concerns and viewpoints.  I am
especially interested in the position on Technical Standards.

As part of full disclosure and in the attempt to address an actual
issue, I am an IETF participant who, recently, has come to accept the
IETF's policy and practice (defined in RFCs 3905, 3667-3669). Though I
would prefer for us to select only encumbrance free technologies. I
accept this policy because the realities of engineering practice seem
to make it necessary and because full determination of degree of
encumbrance is very difficult in practice.  As an IETF WG chair or
editor, I would always work to find a technology that was encumbrance
free. But I would not raise rough consensus breaking objections if the
installed base was already using a technology that was either available
under a GNU type license or under any of the  less onerous conditions,
e.g.:

- No License Required for Implementers
- Royalty-Free, Reasonable, and Non-Discriminatory License to All
Implementers

or even on occasion

- Reasonable and Non-Discriminatory License to All Implementers with
Possible Royalty/Fee.

On the other hand, as a researcher developing technology for network
challenged areas on the other side of the digital divide, i will use no
technology that is encumbered by anything more the a GNU type license.

What I have not been able to understand is how a commitment to never
using encumbered technology can work in the complex international
Internet, which is constrained by a multitude of conflicting claims and
legacy technology.  My primary concern is that on occasion this would
leave us without useable, or deployed, standards in areas where such
standards are necessary.

thanks
a.