[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: Need to know the facts / Les Faits Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] PCT and WGIG

Federico Heinz fheinz at vialibre.org.ar
Sat Jan 22 16:12:39 GMT 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 10:23 -0500, Robert Guerra wrote:
> Given what happened at the last precom you'd think this space would
> have shifted to french and arabic and be discussing Tunisian issues.
> Instead, since june of last year the vast majority of discussion has
> been around  free software and the politics around that. it has
> consumed far too much of the discussion and there hasn't been any way
> to start other threads, other discussions on items that are also
> important in the UN context.

"There hasn't been a way to start other threads". That's a rather
intriguing concept. Would you please describe which obstacles have
prevented you or others from starting other threads? As far as I know,
all it takes is an e-mail message, and just a few lines further above in
your message you said that "anyone with a particular agenda, crazy idea,
or just spam - can just put it forward", so it can't be that hard.

I haven't seen anybody say "let's not discuss tunisian issues". By all
means, please do, I'd love to learn more about them. As a matter of
fact, I have seen only one instance of some people asking for something
not to be discussed, and that is the thread on the WGIG selection
process.

Maybe what you meant was that people just didn't find interest in the
same threads that you did... well, that happens. In mailing lists,
people participate in threads they think are important. If the threads
you are missing don't find participants, it's very likely because you
have failed in communicating to people why they are interesting or
important enough to deserve their time.

	Fede
--
GnuPG Public Key: gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net --recv-key BD02C6E0
Key Fingerprint: 04F4 08C5 14B7 2C3D DB21  ACF8 6CF5 0B0C BD02 C6E0