[WSIS CS-Plenary] Updates on WGIG

Georg C. F. Greve greve at fsfeurope.org
Tue Jan 25 18:17:41 GMT 2005

Dear Vittorio,

 || On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 11:14:58 +0100
 || Vittorio Bertola <vb at bertola.eu.org> wrote:

 vb> I thought useful to send a brief reminder to the Plenary about
 vb> what the WGIG is and what it is doing. [...]

 vb> As such, the WGIG does not deal with policy, but only with the
 vb> mechanisms through which policy is discussed and approved -
 vb> which, however, are the key for a long term solution to many of
 vb> the problems we complain about.

I have to admit this does not reassure me much.

Having bad policies is quite a problem. Having an accepted mechanism
through which to create bad policies is much worse. This seems to add
to the damaging potential of the WGIG.

Seeing how past discussions have excluded Free Software and yielded to
proprietary pressure to create Free Software hostile policies and
seeing now how Free Software has again been excluded from the WGIG
does not make me very optimistic.

The only way to get to a stable policy-making process that does not
seek to put Free Software at a disadvantage would be to have full
participation of an independent and strong Free Software group that is
able to maintain positions against industry pressure and has no
particular interests besides seeing Free Software succeed as a model.

Since we cannot make that point ourselves within the WGIG, that will
be your job now, I'm afraid.

Regards,
Georg

--