[WSIS CS-Plenary] Strategic priorities for WGIG

Robert Guerra rguerra at lists.privaterra.org
Thu Jan 27 18:37:18 GMT 2005

I would say that the 14th is a hard deadline - to effectively lobby,
CS needs to have a strategy and document ready by then.

that the WGIG has changed it's mandate to a shorter list - is
something which likely could have been predicted. What 5 or 7, well
that's the issue. I would hope that the CS WGIG members have been
prioritizing .

At 4:05 PM +0100 1/27/05, Vittorio Bertola wrote:

>the time all of a sudden has come when the Secretariat has asked WGIG
>members to list the issues they consider as priorities.

no surprize.

>It is likely that the WGIG will ultimately deal with the governance
>systems of no more than 5-7 of the issues originally listed.
>
>While many things are not clear yet - for example, whether the decision
>on priorities will be taken now or in Geneva, whether public comment
>will be specifically asked on that, whether it will focus on issues or
>on other aggregations or maybe on organizations to be reformed - it is
>time that civil society as an aggregate starts to think at what it aims
>to get from the WGIG.

have the WGIG members not being doing this already ? But yes, a
larger discussion is needed  - i would suggest that it be not related
to past issue, but a discussion on the key issues, and how to
priortize them. In essence, discussing priorities and strategy.

I don't think the plenary list is the most appropriate place for this
- too much noise. A more effective discussion i think could take
place on the governance list - which is open for all to join. (i
think)

>I think that the WGIG offers a unique possibility, as it is very rare
>that a group of people in which civil society is present as peer is
>tasked to suggest which global governance regimes and institutions need
>reform. Such a chance might not come again for many years.

indeed. one must be cautious as well as expectations are high...

>As such, I think we have to consider which, of the organizations whose
>policies affect the Internet, we deem to be the key ones whose missions
>and structures should be revised.

ICANN is in the list by default, given what happened at WSIS-I.

So - ICANN..

>Of course, you can imagine that my personal take is at WIPO and the
>intellectual property regime - and of course, private sector
>representatives are going to oppose this, and possibly to get the WGIG
>state that WIPO needs no reform, or that such reform is not as urgent as
>the ICANN one; so if we want to follow this way, we need a strong push
>from this plenary and from caucuses.

makes it ICANN + Intellectual property (which is that the UN diplomats call it)

>Anyway, I think that you should browse through the list of issues at
>http://www.wgig.org/docs/inventory-issues.html and try to pick the 5-7
>most important ones to you and your groups.

should a deadline be set in regards when people should submit their items by?

>You can give for granted that "root servers" and "names/IP
>administration" will be there; my personal choice for the rest would
>possibly be "intellectual property", "privacy/consumer rights", "spam",
>"interconnection costs" and perhaps "trade/liberalization".

my quick list - interconnection costs,  privacy, consumer rights,
spam, data protection, access to information...

>Caucus connectors should possibly raise the issue with their caucuses
>and prepare to submit statements to the WGIG by February 14, both on the
>priorities and on the content of the issue papers that will be released
>next week.

robert

--
###