[WSIS CS-Plenary] Strategic priorities for WGIG

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Thu Jan 27 21:37:01 GMT 2005

Vittorio,
Thanks once again for your leadership. As my top four, I would propose
the following:

1. ICANN-related issues (DNS and IP addresses, root server admin,
etc.)
(Note that the real "issue" here is globalization or
internationalization of supervision and accountability of ICANN, role of
CS in it, and role of governments in it).

2. Intellectual Property regimes and their intersection with ICANN
issues, free expression, diversity, competition, privacy, and
surveillance

3. Applicable jurisdiction, cross border coordination
(This is a meta-issue that applies to all other issues.)

4. Spam

I think there is a broad consensus that IPR is one of the key issues.
Those who have appeared to dissent from that consensus have raised two
issues, neither of which detracts from the centrality of IPR to the
WGIG: i) they have objected to the term "intellectual property,"
proposing instead PCT, which is not a serious problem, either term could
be used; ii) they stated that the WGIG was intended to be technical in
focus, which is plainly wrong and can be proved so simply by reading the
WGIG's charter.