[WSIS CS-Plenary] IPR : Strategic priorities for WGIG

Jonathan Cave j.a.k.cave at warwick.ac.uk
Fri Jan 28 09:05:22 GMT 2005

I endorse the position of Vittorio and Milton Mueller regarding IPR.

For one thing, domain names are IP - they are encloseable or ownable bits
of intangible property of substantial commercial (and other) value.

Beyond this, material to which the Internet provides access - and material
its use creates (e.g. electronic documents and writings) are also IP and
also - in many cases - protected or protectable. This protection and its
enforcement determine the size and distribution of benefits and incentives
shaping future use.

Third, the software and business and other methods that enable the Internet
are also IP. This might not matter were it not for interoperability
considerations. But we have already seen on these groups how technical and
legal 'barriers to entry' affect the geometry of interconnection.

In my view, an IG group that did not consider IP would be like a traffic
authority that ignored land ownership.

Cheers,

Jonathan