[WSIS CS-Plenary] IPR : Strategic priorities for WGIG

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wz-berlin.de
Fri Jan 28 11:18:17 GMT 2005

Jonathan Cave wrote:

> I endorse the position of Vittorio and Milton Mueller regarding IPR.

I also agree with Vittorio's, Milton's and Robin's positions.
In my view, WGIG is among the first processes that enables us to develop
a comprehensive view of Internet governance. A comprehensive view that
shows the linkages and interdependencies between various regimes such as
standards development and IPR. It would be shortsighted to
let this opportunity pass without making the best possible use of it.

My list of items would be the following:

* Administration of Internet names, IP addresses and root server system
* Peering, interconnection and Internet leased line costs
* Consumer, user protection, privacy
* Competition policy, liberalization, privatization, regulation
* Intellectual Property rights
* perhaps spam (not sure about this item

> In my view, an IG group that did not consider IP would be like a traffic
> authority that ignored land ownership.

  I agree.

jeanette