[WSIS CS-Plenary] Spam as an issue

Gurstein, Michael gurstein at ADM.NJIT.EDU
Fri Jan 28 18:13:06 GMT 2005

I think the issue of "spam" and "spam control" is highly interesting
particularly for what it reveals about the implicit frameworks
concerning overall Internet related issues.

Spam is and can be approached from a technical and a legal/regulatory
perspective--that is, what are the centrally (top down) determined,
centrally (top down) implemented and centrally (top down) controlled
approaches to the problem of spam--what filters do ISP's put in place,
what laws do central authorities implement, what banishment do central
monitors impose and so on.

An alternative approach to spam control, which in fact seems to be far
more powerful and certainly more cost-effective is a 'bottom-up"
strategy which has users either individually or more usefully
collaboratively, establishing mechanisms for identifying and diverting
spam messages as they are being received.

The way this seems to be working is that individuals identify messages
they consider spam, they set up a filter against that message which then
is shared with other people. As the network (on-line community) of those
sharing their filters grows, the grid of filtering against the spam
messaging grows apace and there is no particular need to have central
authorities to identify and track/attack spammers (an approach unlikely
to be effective in any case given the ease with which spammers can
change their addresses, the very low entry costs to spamming and so
on... (I saw a note pass by a few weeks ago which indicated that the
cost of identifying and running to ground a single spammer was in the
$40,000K US range, and this doesn't include the legal costs of
attempting to try and convict each individual spammer...).

However, recognizing that spam is a problem which is probably best
controlled through (bottom up) on-line communities and networks doesn't
seem to have filtered into those who treat the Internet with all its
transformational elements as simply another ground for regulatory
business as usual, or who see a way of making a buck by providing
technology (overkill) solutions for what are essentially
"social"/community problems.

To extend this further I'm seeing a similar "divide" in the Finance for
the Information Society area, where the bulk of the efforts seems to be
in finding ways of funding governments or (centralized) multilateral
agencies or NGO's to develop top down delivery programs rather than ways
of channeling funds and expertise to communities to help them develop
local solutions to access and related issues.

In the end of course, there will never ever be enough funds for top down
centrally administered solutions -- the technology moves too fast -- and
in the end there is an endless number of potential (even socially
worthy) beneficiaries.  But to set up processes where communities are
enabled to achieve access and effective use based on their application
of local resources in relation to local needs (with of course, the
availability of some type of technical infrastructure--IMHO the
appropriate use of centralized capacity and resource commitment), that
should be do-able even within a context of limited donor interest and
financial committments.

Best,

Mike Gurstein

Michael Gurstein, Ph.D.
Clinical Professor: School of Management
Research Profesor: School of Computing and information Science
New Jersey Institute of Technology
Newark, NJ

(Interim) Chair: Community Informatics Research Network