[WSIS CS-Plenary] Spam as an issue

avri at acm.org avri at acm.org
Sat Jan 29 19:10:32 GMT 2005

Hi Vittorio,

This may point to a problem with the bottom up approach that governance
can cure, but I am not sure how. I see it as possibly pointing to
problems with configuration (the lack of egress filtering), security (a
technical issue), or with having a single monopoly service provider (a
national issue).  I also see it as a reason for better mailers (a
technical solution) or better email standards - still not governance
issues.

I see no reason why a transit provider or provider on the receiving end
does not have the right to filter traffic they find unacceptable and I
don't think that regulations barring someone from taking such defensive
action is something to wish for.

While I can understand that it was an unfortunate experience, I don't
see it as a cause for governance.  I go back to an indirect quote from
some jurist of the past, hard situations make for bad law.  I expect
that the small government service provider learned a lesson and closed
the hole.  And I expect, or hope, that legitimate user email was cached
in the mailers waiting for the transit to be allowed.

avri