[WSIS CS-Plenary] Spam as an issue

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Sun Jan 30 16:46:24 GMT 2005

avri at acm.org ha scritto:
> I see no reason why a transit provider or provider on the receiving end
> does not have the right to filter traffic they find unacceptable and I
> don't think that regulations barring someone from taking such defensive
> action is something to wish for.

I'm not advocating regulation... still, the idea that my ISP is encouraged
to intercept my private correspondence, filter it, and decide what I get
and what I don't get, is something that worries me a lot. I'd just like to
know that whoever maintains the filters does so in a transparent and
accountable way, and that it's not under the monopoly or de-facto monopoly
of any company or group or crazy individual or whatever - because you
could theoretically switch filter provider, but in fact 99,99% of the
world will use the default one (see at the voice "alternative root server
systems" ;-) ).

(Possibly it's just that I'm too pessimistic to think that a liberalized
and self-regulating approach will always be respectful of everyone's
rights...)
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------
http://bertola.eu.org/  <- Vecchio sito, nuovo toblòg...