[WSIS CS-Plenary] Spam as an issue

Jonathan Cave j.a.k.cave at warwick.ac.uk
Mon Jan 31 15:35:20 GMT 2005

It's not clear to this observer how local legal action can begin to tackle
this issue.

Already in 2002, Europe paid €2.25 Billion in lost productivity due to
spam, according to Erkki Liikanen then European Commissioner for IT. The EU
is trying to do something about it, but most spam comes from outside its
borders (back then, the US and China were the main sources). What incentive
do net supplier regimes have to act against spam?

Corresponding to the two perspectives you identify, I see two scenarios:
collective, hopefully global and voluntarily coordinated action; or
Draconian unilateral responses (opting out by specific communities,
censorship of traffic from rogue domains', strict ISP liability, etc.) that
could radically cut the connectivity and utility of the Internet.

I don't think the 'corner solutions' (global government or a lasez-faire
trip further into the swamp) are sustainable.

Cheers,

J.