[WSIS CS-Plenary] Spam as an issue

John Mathiason jrmathia at maxwell.syr.edu
Mon Jan 31 15:47:12 GMT 2005

I tend to agree with Jonathan's analysis.  The problem is finding a way
to control "outliers" --persons or companies that violate Internet
norms (which, of course, are not yet even agreed) but are not resident
(or using servers in) countries that are trying to deal with spam and
are taking advantage of the borderless nature of the Internet.  My own
preference is to have an international agreement on the norm (including
an agreement about what constitutes "spam") and an understanding that
any state that doesn't deal with it is in violation of the norm.  The
danger with individual governments, in the absence of an agreed norm,
dealing with spam is exactly what Yulia has suggested, that it will be
used to eliminate legitimate expression.  If, however, there is a
international understanding about the norm, national laws can
consistently deal with it.   Of course, the next problem is how to
agree on the norm.

Regards,

John