[WSIS CS-Plenary] UN at odds over internet's future

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 17:31:53 BST 2005

Dear Ronald,
 Thanks for this reply. I never meant the press is "pleased" to be spinned.
And I agree with your remarks.
 Still, in the case of the french press, it turns out that the cozyness of
the relation between politicians and the press - particularly televisual -
is becoming so intense that nobody knows anymore who is spinning who. At
least three major (ex)ministers are married or have regular affairs with
high-profile (ex)news anchors and the density of lunches, dinners and other
interactions among the two groups gave birth to the (in)famous expression :
la communauté politico-médiatique.
 If you put in context the ownership of major TV stations and newspapers by
groups or individuals that have a clear political orientation, preference or
personnal links to major politicians, the work of independent journalists is
becoming somewhat more complex. Not to mention the situation in Italy.
 But to come back to the WGIG report, I think we could benefit a lot from
your advice on how to present in the best possible way the major lessons
that CS wants to put forward after this important experience. Could you help
us ?
 As a final note, did you watch the EPIC 2014 film on the future of the
press ? It's available at :
www.robinsloan.com/epic<http://www.robinsloan.com/epic>and I would be
very interested in your analysis of the future it paints.
 Best
 Bertrand