[WSIS CS-Plenary] Draft input to GFC

karen banks karenb at gn.apc.org
Sun Jul 24 12:26:25 BST 2005

hi

>The resolution is about integration, coordinated implementation and follow
>up to UN conferences and summits.
>
><http://daccessdds.un.org/doc/UNDOC/GEN/N03/418/08/PDF/N0341808.pdf?OpenElement>
><http://daccessdds.un.org/doc/UNDOC/GEN/N02/557/23/PDF/N0255723.pdf?OpenElement>
>
>(these links/UN docs system are not reliable, if you see an error try
>So Karklins is say we have a guide to the role of actors in follow-up etc
>and how to integrate in the UN system, role of economic and social
>councils, etc. Or perhaps that's what he saying!

Amb Karklins made an interesting comment about this in response to an
intervention from israel during the WSIS Ineternet Governance open
consultation.

----
Israel: IG followup should be linked to follow up of WSIS process - as per
proper guideline Res. 57/270B that sets follow up mechanism with UN
structure - don't create another process requiring unnecessary money and time

Amb Karklins: (some time later)

on followup: I heard the intervention from Israel re resolution 57/270B. We
have agreed in principle (though agreement is bracketed) that we will try
to address follow up to IG issues separately to follow up to other WSIS
related issues as they are very different and require specific knowledge.
We know that in 2 years we have learned a lot, how internet functions, how
it is managed etc, and they are not related directly to other issues we
address in the WSIS process.

In my view, would be productive to look at follow up to IG separately from
other WSIS related issues, which could be arranged in accordance with res
57/270B
------

I almost have a full transcript of the open consultation, which is not in
any shape to be shared publically just yet, but i shall do my best to write
them up asap and post here.

karen